This book is a compilation of recipes using tequila, a distilled liquor made from one of 400 species of agave plant. The blue variety agave is successfully grown only in the Mexican state of Jalisco, and in portions of Michoacan & Nayart. The town of Tequila is in the latter, near Guadalajara.
To qualify as tequila, the liquid must pass the following four tests established by the Mexican government:
- It must be made from the juice of the blue agave.
- It must come from one of the areas mentioned above.
- After being fermented, the agave juice must be distilled twice.
- The final product must contain at least fifty-one percent distilled agave juice and no more than forty-nine percent can be the result of distilled cane sugar.
GRILLED MUSTARD STEAKS
- 4 (6 - 8 oz.) SIRLOIN or RIB EYE STEAKS, approx. 1/2" thick
- 1 tsp. coarse ground BLACK PEPPER
- 2 Tbsp. HONEY MUSTARD
- 1/2 tsp. WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
- 1 cup TEQUILA
- 1 tsp. PEQUIN CHILE FLAKES
"MAKE YOU PROUD" POTATO SALAD
- 2 lbs. WHITE POTATOES, peeled, boiled & diced
- 3 - 4 ribs CELERY, diced
- CELERY TOPS, diced
- 4 - 5 GREEN ONIONS, diced (include greens)
- 1/2 cup BLACK OLIVES, pitted & sliced
- 1/2 cup GREEN OLIVES with pimentos, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh CILANTRO or PARSLEY
- 1/2 cup SOUR CREAM
- 1/2 cup MAYONNAISE
- 1/4 cup TEQUILA
- 2 Tbsp. DIJON MUSTARD
- 1 Tbsp. LEMON JUICE
- 1 Tbsp. fresh DILL WEED (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 1/2 tsp. ground BLACK PEPPER
- 1/2 tsp. SALT
- 1 tsp. crushed RED PEPPER FLAKES (Pequin)